Sunday, March 1, 2009

British Columbia, 1928

It's been a long time since I've written anything here. I've been busy with work (other work, not Lillian), and have been mulling over ideas for the chapter: British Columbia, 1928.

This is one of the better-documented areas of Lillian's trip, but still fraught with inconsistencies, tall tales, fabrications and possibly some outright lies (well meaning, but lies nevertheless).

It is great fun to go through the second-hand accounts of people who met Lillian, or knew someone who did. Obviously she made a lasting impression on many people she met on her way. A lot of them are very colourful, well-known characters in their own regions, and I'm very excited to be able to learn more about them.

The first draft of this chapter is well underway, though new information arises all the time, and can be and will be incorporated later.

I would like to thank Dietger for his article he sent me, it was of great help and very interesting, as well. So many people are interested (obsessed?) in Lillian, and I enjoy talking to all of them.

Thanks also to Harley for talking about his uncle's memories of Lillian. It's marvellous to know that Lillian's memory and legacy have been passed on through the generations, by someone who only met her briefly. She must have made quite an impression!

I'm backlogged by about 6 inches high of documents, notes, photocopies, letters and more that I've either found or received in the past few months. Once the chapter "British Columbia, 1928" is finished in its first draft form, I can go through all of that paper. So I apologize to anyone that I haven't answered. I'll be responding in the next week or so.
Post a Comment